Membership of Sweet Louise is open to all women and men living in New Zealand who have received a diagnosis of advanced (also known as metastatic/secondary/stage 4) breast cancer.
Advanced cancer means the breast cancer cells have spread from the first (primary) tumour to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, the liver, lungs and the brain. A diagnosis of advanced breast cancer means that the cancer cannot be cured, but often it can be controlled, sometimes for many years.
Sweet Louise provides registered members with practical, emotional and social support to help them live as well as possible, for as long as possible.
Members are assigned a local Support Coordinator who will provide regular, personal, ongoing contact. Members also have the opportunity to meet and make friends with the hundreds of New Zealanders who are facing the same challenges through member meetings and our online support group.
Sweet Louise support and services for members
- Support from a local Support Coordinator
- An annual allocation of vouchers worth $300 to spend on our range of complementary and practical services. These include meal deliveries, house cleaning, lawn mowing, wigs, massage and reiki. All complementary services are approved by our Medical Advisory Board.
- Member meetings offer peer support and the chance to connect with others in a similar situation. They also offer inclusive activities and interesting speakers presenting on relevant topics. Member meetings are available in locations throughout New Zealand.
- Member e-newsletter sent approximately every two weeks with resources, latest news, stories from our members and more.
- A wide range of information resources, both electronic and printed, including our Guide to life with secondary breast cancer
- Family Time services for members with dependent children, such as family trips or treats that help create special memories for families
- Referrals to and collaboration with other community organisations supporting families experiencing cancer
We currently offer services to those living with advanced breast cancer throughout most of New Zealand including Auckland and Northland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, and Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Manawatu and Whanganui, Taranaki, Wellington and Wairarapa, Nelson and Marlborough, Canterbury, West Coast, Otago, and Southland.
Vouchers and service providers
Sweet Louise Members receive an annual allocation of vouchers worth $300 that can redeemed with one of our many Service Providers. Members receive their allocation of vouchers on the anniversary of their membership registration.
Member meetings offer peer support and the chance to connect with others in a similar situation. They also offer inclusive activities and interesting speakers presenting on relevant topics. Member meetings are available in locations throughout New Zealand.
Find out more
We hope you find useful information and make connections in the members hub and if you have any suggestions we will love to hear from you. Contact us on 0800 11 22 77, [email protected] or registered members can join our private member's Facebook group.